Thursday, February 12, 2015

Interesting Article: Clements Takes Over Play-Calling Duties

Change is in the cold air around Green Bay!!!

Read the article - have a read: Clements Takes Over Play-Calling Duties

Let's break it down!!!

First,
Offensively, Tom Clements has been promoted to associate head coach/offense. Edgar Bennett has been promoted to offensive coordinator. Van Pelt handling quarterbacks and receivers. It's a treat to have Mike Solari here, he'll be our assistant offensive line coach. I'm excited about what Jason Simmons brings to the table. Jerry Montgomery will primarily be working hand-in-hand with Dom Capers. I think you know me well enough. Big changes aren't something I do in hast. This is something I feel is my responsibility each and every year. These changes I'm excited about. Enjoyed my time the last two days being with defensive staff meetings. I will split my time equally with offense, defense and special teams. With my past responsibilities, I didn't do that.

What does all this mean?  I think two things!

1 - Mike McCarthy is bringing in new blood.  Adding more coaches to the staff!  New ideas, more ideas, and different coaching styles.  Time will tell!
2 - Mike McCarthy will have his hands (and feet) in the offense, the defense & special teams.  McCarthy has mainly focused on the offense, this is a BIG change!  I'm really glad he will be in the special teams meetings!!

What about play-calling?
On play-calling:
Tom Clements will be the play-caller. Really the biggest change for me personally, I felt the play-calling was something I could still do but the commitment you have to make Monday through Saturday. Tom taking responsibility on offense that I had in the past. Alex has a unique opportunity of working with quarterbacks and receivers. I don't think changes will be too big for players. We think these adjustments will continue to help us grow.
Now, this one I will be excited to watch!!  My only issue the past couple years is to keep attacking in the second half and I would use the Pass to set up the run!  We have Aaron Rogers for 7-10 more good years, let it fly baby!!

And why will McCarthy split his time?
On why it's important to split time:
I think I have a lot more to offer. I enjoyed the last two days going through cut ups with offense. There's a vision you get each and every year. Now I'll be more directly involved with implementation with defense. Special teams needs to improve. It's an area of concern in the past. We have to continue to develop our young players and get more out of our veterans. The standard of play on special teams, our consistency of veteran players wasn't what it needed to be. That will be a focus of mine.
Makes sense for a head coach!  That's what I would do!  Just as a good boss, a boss should know what everyone is doing!  As a retired educator I always thought most of my leaders were hiding some place!

And what does McCarthy think about giving up calling plays?
On giving up play-calling:
I'm going to miss it. I know that. But the way we're structured. The way our quarterbacks are in their development. The way we call the game is a lot different than three years ago. I feel good about where Aaron is, but also our veteran offensive linemen and receivers. We can make adjustments on the sideline. I feel good about mechanics. I think it'll make us all better. We haven't got into the game-day responsibilities, but as we get through spring and summer there will probably be another adjustment made.
Now, I'm sure Mike will have suggestions!  And with Aaron Rogers, I think Aaron could call all his own plays!  And, it would be interesting to see how many he changes!

One thing for sure is the Packers can win division titles & make the playoffs!  But, since the super bowl win, not so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Down the Packer Roster by Position

 88 Players, room for TWO more to complete the 90 man NFL limit per team.  This will change. Still out there, 3 big names.  Mercedes Lewis o...