Saturday, March 2, 2013

Reviewing Packers Current Offensive Roster

OK, time to review the current offensive roster.  Let's say you were the general manager or head coach, what is good & bad about the current Packer roster?

Quarterbacks
Aaron Rogers
Graham Harrell
BJ Coleman

Aaron Rogers, one of the best, if not the best in the NFL!  I do think there is room to grow.  For what ever reason, I do think he hold the ball to long at times.  Or. is it the offensive game plan, does he have a place to go with the ball when plays break down.  51 Sacks?  I would sit down with Aaron & look at each one & discuss options!  Overall, we a SO lucky to have Aaron Rogers!

Harrell & Coleman?  I do not feel good about the back-ups!  I would keep one & sign a veteran!  I would not spend a lot of money, but I would feel better some experience!

Running Backs
Alex Green
Brandon Saine
James Starks
Cedric Benson
Ryan Grant
Dujuan Harris

Wow!  Wouldn't it be nice if Aaron Rogers had a dependable, quality running back!!  Here is what I would do - CLEAN HOUSE!  What a mess!  All these guys you could pick up on the scrap heap!  In fact, most of these guys were after thoughts!  A quarterback of Rogers caliber deserves better!  Most of these running backs have been hurt.  Most were lower draft choices.  I would try drafting a quality running back in rounds 1, 2 or 3.  You will still have this bunch as quality backups!

Wide Receivers
Randall Cobb
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Greg Jennings
Jarret Boykin
Jeremy Ross

Still a strength, but we must make smart moves!  We have Nelson, Cobb, & Jones!  Cobb is one of the most exciting players and will keep getting better.  Jones had a break out year and made some tough catches.  He is a physical receiver & every team needs one of these!  Nelson is still explosive, but the injuries are starting to hurt!!!  I would let Jennings go to save $$$, and I feel that old "diva" gene is starting to show!!  If the opportunity presents itself, I would draft a good one in rounds 1,2, or 3!

Tight Ends
Jermichael Finley
Tom Crabtree
Ryan Taylor
DJ Williams
Brandon Bostick
Andrew Quarless

Another Wow!  First, our roster has been tight end heavy the last few years.  Main reason, McCarthy does use the tight ends on all the special teams, which is fine.  As far as production, that is a concern.  Let's start with Finley.  Caught the most passes for him for a season, but I still see too many drops at key times!  And he still says dumb things!  Just this week, "I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut," Finley told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass. I'm not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal."  Another Wow!  I would cut him.  The other guys a just average or below.  Quarless was hurt the entire season.  Again, if a good one is there in the draft, take him!

Offensive Line
Bryan Bulaga
Marshal Newhouse
Andrew Datkow
Derrick Sherrod
Kevin Hughes
TJ Lang
Josh Sitton
Don Barclay
Joe Gibbs
Van Roten
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Garth Gerhart

Another position were the injury bug has made things interesting!  I think there is quality here, but the 51 sacks still pops up!  Injuries are a concern.  Like the starters, but here is one place I would look for a free agent.  We need to protect Rogers!  Once again, if there is a good one in the draft, take him!

Overall, the offense is still a strength!  To save money & keep quality players I would.....
Check out Packer Salaries at this web site - Green Bay Packers Salary Cap

1 - Let Greg Jennings go - use money saved to improve! Free agent Save?? - 9-$15,000,000
2 - Let Finley go - he is still young, but I'm tired of him save money! Save - $ 8,750,000
3 - One of my favorite - John Kuhn - $2,500,000 - I would keep hime GREAT LEADER Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Down the Packer Roster by Position

 88 Players, room for TWO more to complete the 90 man NFL limit per team.  This will change. Still out there, 3 big names.  Mercedes Lewis o...